Monday, December 8, 2014

Upcycling Veneer Furniture

So I did it; I finally accepted the fact that we are "for sure" done having children. Many of you knew this bc I told you I was done. A few of you who really know me, knew I was having a very serious internal struggle. I love kids. Um, well, I love MY kids. And I DO want a full house. I want big holidays, full sports schedules and no time to watch what I want on the TV. I know; I'm crazy. It's ok if you think that as well, but I really wanted a little girl. I'm totally OK with having two boys (as if I could ever just send them back)- they love me so much. Much more than they love sleep apparently, but still, I'll take it. It's not a forever thing. But they're boys- no bows, dresses or Barbies. No trying on my make-up and shoes (although they BOTH have eaten my make-up and used my shoes as weapons...say it with me now, "BOYS!!!") or letting me do they hair...😭 but... Kids are expensive and we are on a single income for now. Plus, the whole pregnancy, labor, delivery and recovery thing does NOT agree with me. Period. 

So, I bit the bullet and sold everything baby related. The last items to go were the crib and changing table (and they went to a wonderful friend which really helped. Yes, I cried over inanimate objects. Even before I sold them. It's hard to get rid of things and anyone who tells you otherwise, is a dad.). The baby's room doubles as a guest room and up until now, it looked like a baby's room that just so happened to have a Queen bed in it. 

Let's move forward. The baby has no furniture. I have a creative mind. We are on a budget. Enter: Pinterest. The very Bain of my existence. I love Pinterest just like every other person out there, but it really gives me false hope. Maybe I'll post some of my Pintrocities later on. Or maybe I'll just keep that in the back of the closet next to my old ASG {my mom and dad's old gymnastic center} T-Shirts fr when I was 10 that I keep holding on to in the off chance I learn how to quilt... I'm keeping them forever...

Ok, so in walks Pinterest and she says, "Hey Becca, don't you have some old furniture you can Upcycle? I know I remember you posting about it a couple
Months ago. Why don't you just click the search engine again and see what pops up, eh? I believe in you."

Bitch. 

But I did it anyways and I'm so glad I did! I have a dresser from when I was a kid and some night stands from when my parents first got together. And I'm SERIOUSLY pissed at my husband for making me get rid of the matching armoir bc it would have been absolutely stunning. Here they are:

(Totally 80s, but I really do love these night stands)
(Don't mind the baby...he follows me everywhere)

These DEFINITELY need a redo and I just thought, "hmmm, antique bottom and dark brown top?" My husband said no, so, naturally, I tried to prove him wrong. Curse my inner competitiveness. 

What you will need:
Brushes (decent quality)
Old rag
Primer (water based)
Paint (water based: if you want to see brush strokes, use an acrylic otherwise, use a latex)
Stain (oil based)
Sealer (latex, glossy)
A paint stirrer
A pan can key 
Paint thinner (for cleaning your brush)
3-5 days of times

What you might need:

Wood filler
Sand paper
Hand sander

What you definitely do not need:

Your husband

1)PRIME!!! Since I am not staining it (in the traditional way), I did not need to sand. The primer I purchased stated specifically that there was no need to sand. So, I did not.
The night stands were a dark brown already, so I timed the front and sides, two times, and left the top alone. With the dresser, I primed everything once bc it was a medium gray. Let dry in bw coats. (Water based = clean with soap and water)

2) Paint! I went with a cheap Paint + Primer combo in a flat finish (it really doesn't matter what you pick bc your Sealer is glossy). I grabbed a gallon size bc I also use white paint as a base for all my paintings 👍, but I only grabbed a small can of the dark brown. I used 1 coat on each. I wanted to have a faux wood grain texture so I was careful to keep my lines straight so that the stain had something to grab onto. It's your call though- you can use a brush or a roller. (Clean brushes like before!)
(Already it looks better)


3) Stain: for the front and sides, I used a brush on, wipe off approach. It worked better on the night stands, but maybe that's also based on wood type? Idk. I know nothing about wood. My apologizes. Anyways, so try my approach first and if it comes off looking lighter than you want, try it again and leave it on for a bit longer. That's what I did for the dresser. I brushed it on a drawer, did a second drawer, then wiped off the stain from the 1 st drawer. Looked great. For the tops of the night stands and dresser, I did not wipe off the stain. It looked fantastic and (in all honesty) I wanted to see how it would turn out. Trial and error...(oh, this is an oil based stain so if you want to keep your brushes, clean them with paint thinner)
(Left: with stain; right: without)
(Left: after I wiped off the stain; top right: the stain I used; bottom right: with stain and after it has been wiped off)

4) Sealer: I used a latex clear coat, high gloss sealer that came in a 1/2 gallon. I figured I would use it elsewhere... They also came in spray cans, but I decided that would be an awful choice for us. Anyways... So I went over every items once. It dries in an hour; able to handle/move it in 2 hours; able to use in 48-hours. (Sealer is water based, so please thoroughly clean your brush with soap and water or else your brush will be hard as a rock in an hour...)
(It's so happy to be in its new spot)



Gosh, I pretty much feel unstoppable. Well, not really. But I DO want to Upcycle freaking everything in my house... It's a sick obsession right now. I redid my glider 
(Sad, sad little glider. You have too many memories on you to ever get rid of... I love you)
(Finished!! Everything is able to be taken off and washed. And that's a great thing too bc this little man does NOTE have his diaper on...)

I would love to do a tutorial on this, but I am terrible at sewing and would not know where to begin. Sorry, you'll have to admire from afar... Or go on Pinterest...









No comments:

Post a Comment