Tuesday, December 30, 2014

How To: Sex-Kitten Curls with Curlers


Ok, if you're reading this, you're like me... LOVE the Victoria's Secret wavy hairstyle, but can't figure out how to get past the Shirley Temple curl. Look no further, I am here to teach you!

-and I'll be quick about it too-

First off, please note that my hair sucks. It just does. It's super straight regardless of it has been slept on wet/dry, air dried, blow dried, towel dried... You name it. It's lifeless. I thought I was going to have to accept my fate- to be forever alone without a single hair-style I love. Then, I started YouTubing, Blog Reading, Pinterest-ing and LO and behold... I realized there are a TON of girls out there just like me! 

The silly blond in me thought girls with gorgeous locks got that way simply by blow drying and curling... Um, false. This is simply not true. Even the best hair for curls needs some type of product in it. Don't sell yourself short- you can do this. I'm on a mission to find the best curls, so hop aboard and let us get started. 

All the blogs I read say to towel dry your hair and to avoid brushing it... 
Ummm no, you see this nonsense? This has to get brushed or it will be tangly. It needs to get blow dried or it will be finer than baby-hair. (FYI Go ahead and plug in your heat source now...before you blow dry)

My solution (that works for me) =
(Front to back 
+ for wet hair 
>For dry hair)
+ A mousse of some sort (you can stay at the roots and work your way to the ends, or you can just do the roots)
+ An oil (my stylist suggested Moroccan Oil, but let's face it- you see that Digi Cam bag in the background, yeah, our income is fixed... So I buy cheap. Use this oil ONLY on the very end of your hair. It's oil and will make thin hair look greasy)
> Dove Dry Shampoo (spray all over hair... This creates texture on fine hair which allows your hair to hold a curl)
-last, but not least... of course, a blow dryer and round brush. (The natural haired brushes make my already static-prone hair look like I was just struck by lightning. So I steer clear of those)

I tilt my head over while drying my hair to help add volume.

 If you are using regular curlers, a wand or a curling iron... Use the Dry Shampoo before you style it, but AFTER your hair is dry. 

Oh yeah, much better. Now, let's curl!

This is Revlon's Ionic Steam Curlers (in case you decided to ignore the picture above)... I just got it for Christmas and it claims to hold a curl without causing heat damage. Awesome! It has a *ticking* sound the whole time you use it though. Not awesome. Luckily, I tune things out easier than most people so it really didn't bother me. 

Start with a small to medium strand of hair. 
Starting in the MIDDLE portion of your strand of hair...Grab your curler, bringing your hair in front of it (so the curl will be away from your face) and wrap it around until you get to the very end. 
Once you have wrapped the hair all the way to the end, hold it there with your finger and roll the curler towards the roots. ***You will need to spread out the top portion of your hair as you roll so it covers the ends. This way your ends will not come loose as your curlers dry***

See? Now it looks like my old way of curling my hair. Ah, memories. 

Continue until your whole head is covered and you look like your great grandma. Yes, this photo needed to be in black and white. 

Take this time to do your makeup, dance to music, peel your children off your legs so you can dance alone or go on FB... The time is yours! I love curlers bc there's no need to set the curls once your hair cools down- no pinning, no hair spray (unless you want to use it. I only use hair spray for my artwork, but hey, to each their own). All the setting takes place AS the hair is cooling. My normal curlers (not the Ionic Steam set) take about 20 min to completely cool down, which gives me make-up and dress up time. These only take 1/2 that time. But no one is timing you so take as long as you want. 

When you're ready, take them out! 
Here's what Medium (far left), Large (middle) and Jumbo (far right) curlers look like when using the same amount of hair and cooling time. I like the Large the best.
I decided to curl my bangs too, bc... YOLO! 
Um, it was a no-go...
Luckily, I blowed out my bangs again and brushed my curls out just a bit and VOILA! Sex-Kitten Curls! It lasted about 5 hours, but kept falling bc I was outside in the wind and rain taking family pictures. Still, I'll take it. 

Turned out pretty good!

Tomorrow, I'm planning on curling with my wand so I'll post a "How to" about that as well and you can decide! Good luck!













No comments:

Post a Comment